Logo for Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center and the Discovery Expedition of St. Charles

Contact Us

Lewis and Clark Boat House and Nature Center

Hours: Monday-Saturday 10:00am-5:00pm and Sunday Noon-5:00pm.
Closed on New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Entrance Fee:
Adults $5.00
Children under 17 $2.00
Group Rates are available (Groups of 15 or more).

Contact Us:
Bishop's Landing
1050 S. Riverside Drive
St. Charles, MO 63301
636-947-3199 lewisandclarkmuseum@yahoo.com


Click Here For

New Membership Form




26 August– 2 September 2004

Thursday, August 26th, 2004

Walked to Yankton, about a 8 miles walk, and waited for information on whether or not I will have the proper insurance to make my ride. All worked out and I was underway in the evening. Set up camp just a few miles west of Crofton. A long day with nothing much to note. Prepare to ride tomorrow.

Friday, August 27th, 2004

Woke early after a light rain all night. Heather Ryman, her son, and Brenda (the horse) arrived around 10:30. We saddled Brenda and I was underway at 11:30. Our first day together and we had a few misunderstandings. After about the first mile I walked her about 2 and then once she realized we had to go forward and not home we kept on. Stopped around noon to give the horse a rest. Gene Ackman who owned the land invited me to his house for water for both the horse and I. After thanking him I continued on. Was stopped by a few Santee after entering the reservation, they were very curious. When I got down to highway 12 I was stopped by Gene Ackman’s wife who happened to be a reporter. I agreed to talk to her but I had to find a place for me and the horse. She told me of a place down the road where I could go see about a place to stay. After going the half mile down the road and finding that no one was home I waited to for a while. Mrs. Cain who owned the house with her husband arrived and looked very confused as I stood there in uniform holding Brenda’s reins. After a short conversation she was very happy to help and put Brenda in a stall with water and feed. They fed me dinner and were gracious enough to let me stay on their property. Not bad for our first day.

Saturday, August 28th, 2004

Thoroughly thanked the Cain’s for their hospitality by presenting them with a medal and was moving by 7:30. A very cool morning and the sky is covered with clouds. Arrive at the Santee Casino and meet with two representatives of the Santee Sioux, Don LaPointe (Vice-Chairman), and Wannetta Whitlock a member of the tribe. I gave them a medal, some tobacco, and a string of beads and thanked them for the privilege of traveling through their nation and land. Mike Crosley, a liaison for th gave Santee, was there as well. He lent me one of his horses, a five year old paint, to walk along side Brenda to Niobrara. Met my grandfather there and waited a while before the parade started. After the parade left Niobrara and went just west to the Rodeo Grounds. Brenda was able to be put in a pen again. Set up camp and learned of a rendevous just a quarter mile down the road. Due to the situation and a place to stay for the horse I stayed put. A very cold night.

Sunday, August 29th, 2004

Woke up this morning to the sound of the horse trying to get out of her pen to play with the cows. After getting up and putting my boots on I realized that the men who were practicing their roping yesterday neglected to properly lock the gate. I drove them back in their pen and locked it, It didn’t appear that any of them got away. Last night proved to me that I would need more than one blanket to get through this endeavor. With a short move today we have a late start to let the thick blanket of dew on the canvas somewhat dry. Arrive in Verdel after a good move. Brenda was very energetic and I had to keep her from running or I think should could have ran the whole way. After securing the horse I break for a nap after getting little sleep last night. The small town put on a small picnic in the park at 6 o’clock, my grandfather arrived for it also. Jim Sturm showed up with a report of the camp and greetings from all the men. Since I am not completely separated from them and still have communication it’s not so bad but I already wish I was at the keelboat considering our numbers are once again dwindling. Sleep with the vie of a lightning storm in the distance just below the moon as it rises in the east.

Monday, August 30th, 2004

Had a slow morning. The sky clear and the sun blazing it was thought I thought it would be best if I traveled in the evening as it cooled down. Rode on making my way towards the town of Monowi. This town only being of population 2 would be easy to miss, but I was informed last night that one person had died there and now it is one of the few towns in America with the population of 1. On the right side of my path on the rolling hills there were mound-like projections of dirt and rock that protruded out making small cliffs. Make camp as the sun falls and the moon rises. Brenda is behaving well and enjoys the freedom of wandering around in a pen that we were given permission to let her stay in. She has been a great horse for this exercise and proved herself to be willing than most, tomorrow we will see how she does, it being our longest ride. Sleep under the light of a full moon and array of constellations.

Tuesday, August 31st, 2004

Got up at what appeared to be around 4 o’clock this morning due to a large cloud formation with lightning and thunder. After securing my tent and my gear so that it would not get wet I went back to sleep. Waking up after dawn I realized it never rained and the storm went NE of me. Heather arrived with the saddle and we got Brenda ready. Today will be our longest day on the trail, 15 miles. By no means a long day but longer than the other 14 I will be in the saddle. Went 8 miles to Lynch where I took a break. Had lunch at the BTR Quik Stop, Eileen Pickering owns the small establishment and refused to let me pay her for the meal and water. She and the other ladies there were very kind to me and the horse. At 1 o’clock began to move again. Capt. Lewis and Sgt. Major Pope came by with an Army Black Hawk while scouting the river for future movements. They circled a few times while I waved and saluted. It was great to see them. Today is hot and unpleasant, there are a lot of buzzards in the air. Saw only one snake today next to the road but it was dead so that worked out for both me and Brenda. Arrived at Bristow around 3 and secured the horse in the small park at the edge of town.. Heather arrived at 4 with water and feed as she always does. In luck again someone offers a place for the horse. I sleep for the first time alone with the horse nowhere in sight or sound. A lady from the BTR showed up around 9:30 and brought me a bag of “goodies”. They were great and I hope to one day visit them again. After eating a cookie I go to bed. It’s too bad Shannon didn’t have it this good.

Wednesday, September 1st, 2004

An early morning. Saddled the horse and underway. Today there is not a cloud in sight, the heat is a burden and a minute feels like an hour. Arrive at Gross for a 2 hour brake. A lady that I met this morning, Marlo Johnson, met me with food for the horse and I. People like her and everyone else so far has only further proved my theory that small towns treat you better. Moving again. I am inclined to walk most of the way for the last 5 miles. The heat takes its’ toll as I pass by dying crops. Done for the day by 4 o’clock. No one in sight and no one to talk to I take more time to rearrange my gear and find a better way of constructing my canvas that I borrowed from Capt. Lewis. A clear night.

Thursday, September 2nd, 2004

Another early morning. On the road by 8 o’clock. The day again is hot but it is only surpassed by the wind. A wind of 40 mph plus winds makes it a difficult day with the horse. She was already jumpy but having 2 loose calf’s jump out in front of you while you are riding was totally different. Got the horse composed and continued on. Was able to once again stall the horse. This time at Mike Hoffman’s. He is a farmer who has been another victim of this heat wave. He like so many others is taking his crops and chopping them for feed. He says this is the way it has been for the past 5 years. In this area they have not received rain since June, I hope next year things change for the better. Ate lunch at Mike’s house. Mike and his wife are extremely kind and interested in the Lewis and Clark story.

More to Come...

















Copyright 2008 the Discovery Expedition of St. Charles.